How to Prepare 如何準備
There may be training on course before race day, keep updated via BR Facebook…
there will be at least one training c. month before race with organizers
GPS device is mandatory equipment. Why:
- The course will be marked, but GPS is mandatory equipment, it is for safety reason
- You have to download gpx or kml from section website Course 賽程 (two weeks before race will be published final)
- If map is provided you have to have on during run in plastic foil
- If you are not sure you are on course = check gps
- Did you get really lost and cannot find marks = gps
- Did you get hurt or anybody else = read coordinates and give position to organizers by phone (eg. 24.9239, 121.5859, three to four decimals are enough)
- You can also use map of course and find significant point which you pass (eg. 20minutes after CP, etc.)
- NEVER LEFT COURSE without permission of organizers!!! There is almost zero chance find anybody out of course!
- There is almost 100% chance you can be find on course. With known location relatively fast!!
Preparation and tips (Be Beast)
- See section Details and Regulations 重要注意事項 and follow Rules & Equipment.
- Study course online or from map.
- For most events jacket, mobile phone, whistle, water and enough nutrition is mandatory.
- Don’t use hiking poles in most of the Beast events, there is not space on trail for and you may need free hands. You can take wood branch (bamboo is best) anywhere in forest. Or have one pole can be helpful.
- Headlamp is mandatory:
- for race with cut time over 5 hours: one light
- cut time over 8 hour – one good quality (strong) headlamp (eg. Fenix HM65R or HL32R)
- for race over 10 hours two lights are necessary (at least one headlamp).
- Remove or unplug batteries during the day, it prevent accidentally discharging
- Jacket or better waterproof jacket is very important, In Taiwan can be really cold.
- GLOVES are mandatory equipment
- Wear BUFF is better than wear visor or hat you can see branches above your head! You know!
- Wear more free long pants over your short in colder weather, you can put any time down. Take older or cheap, because is easy to tear.
- For long races take extra synthetic socks to your bag. Use wool or polyester socks, don’t use cotton.
- Wear gaiter (socks/shoes cover) is great:
- Protection from branches and thorns
- Prevent mud, sand, dirt from entering the top of the shoe
- Great prevention from sticky and itchy grass seeds stick to your socks
- Keeps tie shoelaces
- Prevent from ligh splash of water and give you little heat comfort in colder day
- Eat and drink:
- Drink and eat constantly food which you know. In humid is easy to dehydrate by sweating.
- For longer races is better accept normal food on begging (rather take your favorite sandwich or Runivore bar than eat gels from beginning), but
- Later in race eat food which is easy to consume.
- Take enough water when you can, eg. in Check Point. Almost every temple in Taiwan has drinkable water.
- There are usually not shops (7-11 or local store) on course, but it is not prohibited buy from. Cash 500NTD is mandatory.
- Drink water in higher mountains can be save, better than thirst, but don’t do it till really need.
- Wild animals and leeches:
- Use bug repellent around your ankles, leeches doesn’t like it.
- Remove leeches with solt, alcohol or repellent, it bleeding less.
- Don’t need worry about wild animals, they scare more than you.
- Don’t step behind or run without control, you can hurt or fall badly, keep calm.
- Occasionally wasp can be dangerous, don’t run through their nest, they will bite others behind you. Walk slowly around with enough distance.
- Snakes are present in nature, but they also don’t want collision without you. Snakes are often nocturnal. They can be often present on warm road at the evening.
- 賽程關門時間超過5小時: 一種燈具
- 關門時間超過8小時-一個品質好(強壯)的頭燈(例如: HM65R or HL32R )